Date: May 4, 2023
Time: 8-10:30 a.m.
Location: DoubleTree by Hilton, 2120 16 Ave NE Calgary
Cost: $10 (CIC members) or $25 (non-members)
The Calgary Interfaith Council and Mayor Jyoti Gondek welcome you to celebrate the diversity and contributions of Calgary’s faith communities at the Calgary Interfaith Breakfast.
Ticket sales have closed.
Keynote speaker bio:
Known as Doctor Grandmother to many, Doreen Spence is a Cree Elder who was born and raised on the Good Fish Lake Reservation, and is also a member of the Saddle Lake Nation through her father. Grandmother Doreen retired from nursing after having spent many years in active treatment hospitals. Currently, she is an active Elder in Residence with the Cumming School of Medicine’s Indigenous, Local and Global Health Office, working to build reconciliatory education for nursing students, faculty and staff in the U of C’s Faculty of Nursing. She also mentors students and staff in the Indigenous Primary Health Care and Policy Research Network (IPHCPR) and at Mount Royal University. Healing and wellness are her life-long legacy, and she is honoured to have been recognized by so many for doing what she is so passionate about:
- Order of Canada (2022)
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (2022)
- Honorary Bachelor of Nursing (2017)
- Indspire Culture and Spirituality Award (2017)
- Alberta Centennial Medal (2005)
- Nominated for the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize
- YWCA Woman of Distinction Award (1999)
- Council on Adoptable Children, New York (1997)
- Alberta Human Rights Award (1993)
- Chief David Crowchild Memorial Award (1992)